Saturday, September 10, 2011

Bouquet of Beets and Serving Suggestions


Welcome to segment number three on our first ever autumn garden. We had never planted beets before and had no clue what we were doing… But they did all the work and thinking for us. All we did was scatter some of the seeds into a little row, cover with earth and God's order of creation did the rest. Beets have the most beautiful and brilliant color in their stems. The root itself (the beet) reminds me of "jewels of the soil".

Fresh from the Ground

Beets are a good source of:
  • Dietary fiber
  • Vitamin C
  • Iron
  • Magnesium
  • Manganese
  • Potassium
  • Niacin



Serving Suggestions:

Boil them until tender, peel them and slice them up for salads. Very tasty! Drizzle with Italian or ranch dressing.



You can also can pickled beets which are very delicious. I have shared our tutorial here.

Beets and any other garden produce can also be used in our "End of the Harvest" Soup. Visit here for the recipe!

Bouquet of Beets

What else can you do with them? Beets me! Do you have some suggestions?


4 comments:

  1. I love beets! Your salad looks great! I put water, sugar, cloves, cinnamon and vinegar. Slice the beets and boil for about 20 minutes. Canning process is long, but they are ready for snack or I use them in my salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. I love to can so this will be a great project for next years' garden as we are planning on going bigger...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to just roast them with some salt, pepper, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. I've come to really appreciate beets after having them do so well in my garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for the tip! I have also come to appreciate them since 4 years ago when I first typed this :) We also enjoy a beet salad... You shred the cold beet (or mandolin slices) and add minced garlic, mayo and apple cider vinegar with salt and pepper. Mix well and serve. It is a dish a Russian woman served us and it was delicious! Nice to hear from you again Ashley!

      Delete